What better way to spend a dreary Monday than with the mermaids in the My Monthly Hero May 2017 kit! My first thought was watercolor. I stamped the mermaid and critters in Distress Antique Linen on watercolor paper, then use Distress ink and several small paintbrushes to color the mermaid and her friends. I only have one detail brush, and this particular stamp is very small – so it was difficult not to cut off a limb, etc. while painting 🙂 I ended up outlining the images with a brown micro line marker to correct some painting flaws. For this particular project, I didn’t want the white outline around the images – so, I used my Brother Scan-n-cut to cut out the images, rather than the dies included in the kit.
For the coral and sea greens, I used distress ink on watercolor paper – very haphazardly applied! – and cut them with the dies contained in the kit. The background was created by applying Distress ink over the stencil from the kit. The sentiment was embossed using Ranger’s Turquoise embossing powder – love how it has little black flecks in it!
All that’s left is a few sequins, and of course some wink of stella on the mermaid (no self-respecting mermaid would be caught dead without sparkle!!!).
- Distress watercolor paper
- Hero Arts My Monthly Hero May 2017 stamps/dies/stencil
- Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangle die
- Distress Inks: Abandoned Coral, Mustard Seed, Mermaid Lagoon, Broken China, Cracked Pistachio, Tumbled Glass
- White gel pen, black gel pen, micro line pen – light brown
- Ranger embossing powder – turquoise
- Clear sequins
- Wink of Stella pen